header 1
header 2
header 3

In Memory

Jay S. Aston

Jay S. Aston

WO Jay Steven AstonWarrant Officer, First Class Aston was living in Rocky River, OH when he entered the service and was a member of 101st Aviation Battalion, 101st Airborne Division. On July 18, 1971, he was the pilot of a Bell Iroquois Utility Helicopter (UH-1H) trying to extract friendly forces near the Laos/ South Vietnam border. As the aircraft tried to lift off it was struck by enemy fire and crashed in Quang Nam Province, South Vietnam. His remains were never recovered. His name is inscribed on the Courts of the Missing at the Honolulu Memorial. Burial: Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Virginia. Plot: Memorial Section H.

go to bottom 
  Post Comment

12/08/16 04:10 PM #1    

Doug (Mike) Rose

Jay was an Army helicopter pilot who was killed when his copter was shot down in July,1971.  His remains have never been recovered.

12/12/16 12:53 AM #2    

Janet Darvas

Mike Rose....thank you for this information.  I didn't know this.  How horribly sad.  Bless his heart.  1971?  We were barely out of high school. 

09/14/17 12:40 PM #3    

James Waddell

I found this on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund website (vvmf.org)


Final Mission of WO1 Jay S. Aston


WO1 Jay S. Aston was the pilot and aircraft commander of a UH-1H helicopter (tail #68-15671) from C Company, 101st Aviation Battalion, on which he and his co-pilot CW2 Clement R. Custer were assigned an extraction mission on July 18, 1971. Aston and Custer, together with another helicopter providing support, were to pick up four friendly personnel from a classified area. At the point of extraction near the Laos/South Vietnam border, ground fire was received upon lift off. The aircraft was hit, and was seen by the second helicopter to roll to the right and crash inverted into the trees. The helicopter went down in Quang Nam Province, South Vietnam due east of the Laotian city of Ban Bac. Custer was knocked unconscious from the crash. WO Aston, shot in the head, was pinned in the wreckage of the helicopter, and it was impossible to free him. SGT Richmond, the medic with the team to be extracted, determined that Aston was dead, because of a massive head and neck injury with extensive bleeding and lack of vital signs. SGT Richmond was unable to extricate Aston's body, which was pinned in the twisted wreckage of the helicopter. SGT Richmond, CW2 Custer and the remaining team members were successfully extracted. Because special equipment was needed to recover Aston, his body was left behind for later removal. Because of enemy activity, however, Aston's body was never recovered. [Taken from vhpa.org and pownetwork.org]

09/15/17 09:50 AM #4    

Doug (Mike) Rose

If you are interested in more insight about Jay, you can go to a site call "The Vietnam Wall" at 'thewall-usa.com'. If you put in Jay's name and do a search it will take you to his page with basic information. From there you can go to a comments section and see what some of his fellow aviators thought of him.

go to top 
  Post Comment